August 11, 2015

Cali, we're here!

5 days. 49 driving hours. 3,103 miles. 12 states. 0 tolls. 2 girls. 1 one car. And another check off the bucket list. 

We finally made it! Let's talk first impressions.

First, it was like entering another country. Literally. We had to wait in line to cross the border for car inspections. They asked a series of questions, told us not to throw our Connecticut apples on the desert, and to enjoy Cali.

Second, it was really, really sunny. And that's coming from the girl who lived in the Sunshine State for four years... but it's a whole other level of bright. Out of all the welcome state signs to not get a picture of, it was California. We sort of did but it didn't really work out. See below...

Third, the sunset was incredible. We were driving west as the sun went down, which was probably what made it so blinding, so we were welcomed by the most gorgeous sunset. It's been the first of many. 

Fourth, we were not in Connecticut anymore. As in, we-were-so-excited-to-finally-arrive-but-still-had-3-hours-and-27-minutes-to-drive-to-our-actual-destination. In CT, you can drive for an hour in any direction and be in another state. So. 

Fifth, people are crazy drivers here. After driving for 5 days and through 12 different states, I feel like I can judge the level of craziness pretty well. Seriously, buckle up. 

Sixth. From one coast to the other, WE MADE IT! I can't even describe the exhilarating feeling of finally reaching California but even more than that, it was exciting driving into such unknown. Not really knowing who I'd meet or what experiences lay ahead or places to be discovered. 

Even though I've always wanted to do a cross country road trip, it's something I thought I'd never do. When I was 12 years old, I started to collect magazine clippings of places to visit across the country for my "road trip binder" in hopes of going someday. While I wish we had more time to stop and go some more of those places I've always dreamed of visiting, I am so happy we did it and made countless memories together. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But for now, it's time for a golden state of mind. 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Show some love!