August 25, 2015

Working with A21

Before I started working with A21, I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to be doing for the organization. Whether I would be licking envelopes or working alongside survivors of human trafficking, it honestly didn't really matter to me. I was excited to do something for the cause - whatever that meant.


Turns out, the California office is their main hub for all communications and administration. And I'm not buying post-its and taking coffee orders (at least, not on the daily), This PR girl got placed in the Communications Department on none other than the Social Media team!!

It's been an amazing experience being able to use my skill set for a cause I am passionate about. It has also been a challenge working on a team with other people but a good one. I couldn't be happier investing my time doing something in my field and learning so many news things about it at the same time. 

Volunteering your time for a cause is so different than working for a paycheck. Some days it is easy to lose sight of the big picture behind the work and emails, but whenever we get news of a rescue, it reminds me that even the seemingly insignificant of tasks is lending a hand towards saving lives. 

I think every experience will grow and stretch you in new ways. But I think I underestimated how much I would learn about myself... not only working with A21 but moving to a new place in general.


I've never gotten lost as many times as I have here. Mostly because I want to think I know where I'm going... but I don't. I think this is the first week where I haven't gone the wrong way once and I can't even begin to express how happy that makes me. 

I know what it's like to have nights and weekends free again! WOOT WOOT! No more working crazy hours. I suddenly have free time and as crazy as it sounds, I've had to adjust to letting myself relax.

By now the newness of everything has worn off and a part of me misses familiarity of family and close friends. But it somehow challenges me to cling and cherish those close to me and seek out new friendships in this season.

Before I left CT, a family friend told me (if I came back) I wouldn't come back the same. In so many ways that is true. One of my favorite quotes, "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." And I think this is another experience in my life that fully embodies that quote. It's been a transition no doubt but I am so thankful for the opportunity to be giving my time to a worthy cause that I am passionate about while exploring a new place and growing so much myself.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Show some love!